Monday, June 28, 2010

Texas woman 'unable to gain weight'




Texas woman Lizzie Velasquez is unable to put on any weight
A woman who weighs just 25 kilograms and has almost zero per cent body fat must eat every 15 minutes to stay healthy.

Lizzie Velasquez, 21, has a rare condition that prevents her from gaining weight and eats 60 small meals a day, The Sun reports.

The student from Texas in the US consumes up to 8000 calories daily and despite standing at 157 centimetres has never weighed more than 27.3 kilograms in her entire life.

She was born four weeks prematurely weighing just over one kilogram.

Her survival amazed doctors who say she was born with little amniotic fluid protecting her in the womb.

At the time, it was predicted Miss Velasquez would never be able to walk or have a normal life but her bones, brains and internal organs developed normally.

She told The Sun she is upset by people who accuse her of being anorexic.

"When I meet new people I have to say: 'Hi, I'm Lizzie and I have this rare syndrome, I am not anorexic'," she was quoted as saying.

"I eat every 15-20 minutes to keep my energy levels up.

"I eat small portions of crisps, sweets, chocolate, pizza, chicken, cake, doughnuts, ice cream, noodles and pop tarts all day long, so I get pretty upset when people accuse me of being anorexic."

"I weigh myself regularly and if I gain even one pound I get really excited."

Miss Velasquez came close to death at the age of 16 from a ruptured appendix and at 19 was the recipient of a blood transfusion after suffering extreme anaemia.

Her case has been studied worldwide and she is currently part of a genetic study at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
It's believed she may be suffering a form of Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome, a condition that causes accelerated ageing, fat loss and tissue degeneration.

Miss Velasquez has two younger siblings who are both of average weight and height.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/7480873/woman-eats-15-minutes-stay-healthy



Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1077994/texas-woman-lizzie-velasquez-unable-to-gain-weight



No comments:

Post a Comment