Friday, May 14, 2010

Australian Jessica Watson, 16, to become youngest to sail around the world




Jessica Watson (born 18 May 1993 in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian sailor and resident of Buderim, Queensland. She is currently attempting to become the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

The departure was from Sydney, Australia on 18 October 2009, headed eastbound over the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, and the Indian Ocean. Her arrival back in Sydney is expected on 15 May 2010.

The Los Angeles Times reported Watson's reason for her journey: "I wanted to challenge myself and achieve something to be proud of. And yes, I wanted to inspire people. I hated being judged by my appearance and other people's expectations of what a 'little girl' was capable of. It's no longer just my dream or voyage. Every milestone out here isn't just my achievement, but an achievement for everyone who has put so much time and effort into helping getting me here."

Watson is writing a book about her experience to be called True Spirit and published by Hachette Publishing three months after completing her journey.












No comments:

Post a Comment